Thursday, March 23, 2006

K-Mart (Formerly of Lost Retail City)


This store isn't lost... yet. Anyway, I'd like to take some time to honor this very interesting store called K-Mart.

The K-Mart in the picture above is the K-Mart near Carolina Circle Mall. This one opened in 1976 and was the first K-Mart I ever went to.

The K-Marts of the 80's and early 90's have been know to be very unique. Why? Most of these are actual memories of mine.

I remember walking through this particular K-Mart near Carolina Circle way back in the early-mid 90's. K-Mart had this unique smell to it. Sort of a popcorn/rubber ball type smell. And the sandwhich shop. The food there sort of reminded me of Drive In movie food. The moist hot dogs, popcorn, candy. Who can forget the oversized air vents that made that loud whooshing sound? Couldn't tell you were at K-Mart or the mothership. Finally, the music. They'd always play 80's music like Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go.

Unfortunately, the blue light burned out in 2002. The Carolina Circle K-Mart closed leaving only the Super K-Mart on Wendover.

Nowadays, I do my big box shopping at Target, but when it comes to nostalgia, you can't beat K-Mart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very typical '70s Kmart. The one near me was just like it and it's still open.

Anonymous said...

I miss the old Kmarts so much. I'm glad some are still around. I'm still hearing the rumors that this one could turn into a Home Depot if/when Lowes comes across the street.

Billy said...

Steve: The closest '70's K-Mart near me is in Winston-Salem. I might try and go there next time I'm out there.

cant_not: I miss the old ones too, but not as much as the old/classic Roses. CCM Home Depot, eh? I'll have to check that out.