Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Burlington Square Mall Hit With Foreclosure (Formerly of Lost Retail City)

According to WFMY News 2, Burlington Square Mall (It's in Burlington, duh), has been hit with a foreclosure.

If you go to News 2's website, you will find the entire article dealing with the foreclosure, as well as a very interesting video of the mall's grand opening from 1969, when it was Holly Hill Mall.

I have some good memories of that mall in the '90s. I remember when the food court (now closed) had a Panda Express and a Burger King. I also remember frequenting the music store and Woolworth (Now Goody's).

I also remember sometime around 1997/1998, the mall's Easter Bunny gave me a coloring sheet. After coloring it, I took it back to the mall in order to receive a prize, which I never got.

One major thing I remember is its first name change. Back in the late 1990s, Holly Hill Mall was renamed to Colonial Burlington Mall. I think this was when the mall started to take its nosedive. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall it being renamed Burlington Square Mall in 2005.

What's really killing it is the new Alamance Crossing Shopping Center just down the road from the mall. Belk and JCPenney have already moved to the new shopping center, leaving just Goody's and Sears at Burlington Square Mall.

The last time I went to Burlington Square Mall was last month. Shopping traffic was alarmingly low and stores were closed all over the place, including the Apple House Cafeteria. The only store I went into was Radio Shack.

From what I saw, it started bringing back memories of the final years of Carolina Circle Mall during the late 1990s. Yes, Burlington Square Mall is currently a lot like the later years of Carolina Circle.

It's been foreclosed, however it is not closing... yet.

Next time I go, I'm taking my camera.

The News 2 article and the 1969 grand opening video is here.

No comments: